Sonntag, Juni 14, 2009

Reports from Iran via tehranbureau.com

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD
from Iran sent 10:15 AM sunday june 3 Tehran-time

I was just on the phone with my dad… he’s in the persian rug business in Tehran (Bazaar)… he said everything’s really come down there and on his way to Bazaar, but places like Khiyaban Vali Asr and Vanak are pretty chaotic…my cousin there was beaten pretty bad with a baton… seems like it’s getting very violent…
from Iran sent 9:23 AM sunday June 3 Tehran-time

The banks are all closed. most with windows smashed up. its morning now and it seems to be business as usual for people going to work, but everyone is very angry and bitter. its a very strange unsettling feeling. you can feel things are going to explode at some point.
saadat abad riots – the people have severely beaten the police forces. burned every single one of there motorbikes. following which the police retaliated by by smashing all the cars and home windows in the residence neighborhood of saadat abad.

Iranian TV has been showing movies all day! NOT ONE WORD OF THE UNREST.
Updates from Tehran, via friends source spoken to on Skype:
“I was at Vezarate Keshvar [Interior Ministry]… they never even opened the ballot box.
It took hours to get home today. I had to hide in people’s houses and in car parks and wherever I could find just to avoid getting beaten by the guys on motorbikes with batons. They were hitting everyone they passed. I saw them pulling women out of cars and beating them. Oddly places you thought would be busy are not. Tajrish is empty. Elsewhere people driving around honking horns and showing peace signs. All seems completely futile. And odd day at work, all very angry and upset and cynical, no one could actually do any work. Btu I was saddened by the fact everyone seemed resigned to it already.”
“Two of my friends are also missing, one I know was arrested but no news since. No idea about the other.”
from Iran sent 2:43 AM Tehran-time (6:13 EST)
[Translated] “Here the internet is horrible. After much trouble, I was able t log on through a proxy. I’ll try my best to get the news to you. I have news right now that in Shahrake Gharb [neighborhood in northeast Tehran] is absolute chaos. People are in the streets, they’re chanting. No sign of police. Their protest continues at this hour. I also hear that Niavaran [north Tehran] is a big chaotic too — at least until an hour ago. I’m sorry my information is fragmented. I’m afraid I’ll get disconnected. In Niavaran people are shouting from their homes. That way when police comes they quickly retreat; so they haven’t been able to arrest anyone. I’ve also heard that people captured a few of the Basij guys and gave him a beating. It feels like Martial Law here. Cell phones are down, internet lines are horrible, Facebook is filtered, and … I also have news from Ahvaz. They have also announced there that if someone comes out of their house they will be arrested. So keep your fingers crossed and pray for us. Tomorrow is a great day. I gave you the news. Please try to publish it. Thx.”